Julia and I spent the better part of Saturday making a clay character. Adrian bought a book called, “Making Clay Characters” awhile back but Julia wasn’t ready for it. She went in search for it on Saturday.
The character took her several hours to make. I was the assistant in that I helped her with the instructions, and with softening and rolling the clay. I also helped with the hands which turned out terribly, but oh well. 🙂
She showed a lot of patience and creativity with this project. The book we used may still be a little advanced for her but she tackled it well. She need practice with things like legs, arms, and hands but she’s off to a wonderful start. I’ve just ordered a BUNCH of books from the library that, I think, will help her continue with this interest.
This is the base of the model. You bake this first then added the rest afterwards.
She’s draping the clay dress on the body.
This is obviously several steps forward. 🙂 The hair was fun. Each strand was twisted and then added.
The finished product. It was a rewarding effort for Julia.